Monday, February 27, 2017

I will be blogging more during Lent

I know that a lot of people try to reduce their computer time over Lent, and I fully respect that. We all have to determine which things in our lives are standing in the way of discipleship, and there have been plenty of times in my life when random entertainment, such as novels or television or even (one year when we lived in a very rural area) catalogs became too important in my life, such that giving them up for Lent seemed like a good idea.

For me, though, the situation is a bit different this year in terms of computer use: I'm not using it enough. I may see a bit of Facebook on my phone here and there, but I've been busy with real life (especially real life as defined by four active kittens (see below) who will be adoptable in a couple of weeks). But my book series' Facebook page hasn't been updated at all recently, and worse, my writing and editing efforts have ground to a halt pretty much since Christmas. The more I try to get back into the swing of things, the more I find myself thinking, "Just as soon as I finish this next household chore that is never in fact actually finished..." which is a wife and mother's favorite form of writer's block.

Years ago when I was going through something a bit like this, I decided that instead of ceasing my blogging efforts over Lent I would try posting something each weekday. It's not really a "Lenten sacrifice" and I don't think of it that way at all; it's just a way of tackling some writer's block by daily journaling, which is a tried-and-true method writers have used pretty much since written language was invented to break out of a writer's doldrums.

I think the reason it worked for me last time was that if I have made a real commitment to write, I will do it. And writing even the smallest blog posts on topics from serious to silly seemed to make it possible for me to turn back to my fiction efforts the last time I tried this, so we'll see if it works again.

If you are still reading blogs at all, and if you haven't given up the occasional bit of online reading during Lent, I hope you'll stop by every now and then!