Thursday, February 2, 2017

Coming out of the fog

I started this new blog with the best of intentions, including an intention to blog at least two or three times a week. And then right after I posted the post below this one, our whole family came down with the flu.

It's been a long time since we've all been sick at once. The more normal progression when your adult children are attending college classes at different schools and your husband is at work and you are at home is that one person will get sick, and then perhaps a week later someone else, and so on. It has been that way for so long now that it was really a surprise to come down with the flu more or less simultaneously, and it was weird trying to figure out who felt well enough to warm up soup or something for the others.

We pretty much shut down for an entire week. The following week saw some tentative attempts to return to normal (school, work, etc.) but we took it slow, and I encouraged lots of rest whenever possible. This week has been much better, but I've got to be honest: this bug lingers, especially in the respiratory system. Lots of coughing, with the associated difficulties in sleeping and so on.

I am finally starting to feel like I'm coming out of the fog of this illness. My girls bounced back much more quickly, of course, because they are young. I think one of the good things about being middle aged is that I no longer expect to get well immediately, which makes it much less frustrating when, inevitably, I don't.

One good thing is that I wasn't feeling up to participating in Internet political debates, which was convenient considering the inauguration had just happened. When you're running a fever and slightly dizzy, it's easier to ignore jillion-comment Facebook posts that boil down to "Iz Hitler!" "No, iz not!" as if deranged and oddly political Lolcats were running the whole show.

The bad thing though is that I thought I'd get back to blogging earlier this week, and here it is Thursday already. I forgot that when you are a couple of weeks behind on laundry and whatnot you don't have a lot of time left to spend in front of the computer.

In any case, I'm grateful to those readers who have already contacted me via email to let me know they're reading my blog again! Hopefully I'll be able to blog somewhat regularly from here on out.